Saturday, February 14, 2009

Oliver the Owl


[click to view - 3 images total]

A year ago, when we found out my wife was pregnant, she asked me to make some animal drawings for our baby's room. Now that our baby is 2 months old I feel I'm a little late making them (and she would readily agree), but better now than never.

The first one I made was an Owl. There really isn't any reason as to what animals I'm making other than they're ones that I think would be fun to create. There's also no particular reason that I named the owl other than I feel all animals in a kid's life have names and those names must begin with the same letter as the animal.

I began with a simple pencil sketch that took me all of 2 minutes to make. I then took that sketch and scanned it into the computer and proceeded to make a simple vector version of it in Illustrator. I wanted to have the smooth lines and simple shapes that offers. I then brought those shapes into Photoshop where I then made the final version that you see in the link above. I just used simple gradient colors and some watercolor brushes to create the texture.

It was a lot of fun to make and I promised to make 6 of them so you'll get to see at least 5 more of these little illustrations in the future. So keep checking back to see what animal will be next!